These cinnamon pancakes will turn any breakfast into a culinary feast full of flavors. Inspired by the popular cinnamon rolls, these cinnamon roll pancakes are a decadent dessert that’s incredibly easy to make.
Pancakes, their primordial form, are thousands of years old and have roots in many cultures around the world. Although each culture has its own version, the basic idea – a thin and flat dough, baked on a hot surface – remains unchanged.
Today’s cinnamon pancake recipe is inspired by the famous American Cinnamon Rolls or Cinnamon Swirl Buns. These have origins in Scandinavia, Sweden, in particular, known for its version of cinnamon rolls, known as “kanelbullar“. In the 20th century, these Scandinavian delicacies arrived in America, where they were embraced and adapted in various ways, including in the form of cinnamon pancakes.
Topping Ideas for Cinnamon Pancakes
- Sweet Cream Cheese:
- A creamy and rich topping that contrasts wonderfully with the spiced flavor of cinnamon. You can prepare this cream by combining mascarpone cheese or cow’s cheese with powdered sugar and vanilla. By adding this topping these cinnamon bun pancakes will resemble even more the cinnamon roll recipe that served as an inspiration.
- Fresh fruits:
- Add a pop of color and a fresh taste to pancakes with pieces of fruit such as blueberries, strawberries, bananas or berries. Fruits not only add flavor, but also an additional nutritional intake. Also, if you want a Fall flavor, try making apple cinnamon pancakes by adding ripe apples to the mix.
- Nuts and Seeds:
- For a crunchy texture and rich flavor, try chopped nuts, such as walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts or pecans. Flax or chia seeds can also add a boost of nutrients and a delicious crunch.
- Maple Syrup or Honey:
- A drop of natural sweetness from maple syrup or honey can sweeten and accentuate the taste of pancakes. They add an extra layer of flavor without being overly sweet.
- Chocolate cream:
- Caramel syrup:
- A homemade or store-bought caramel syrup can bring a rich butterscotch flavor to pancakes, thus completing the flavor profile.
- Chantilly cream:
- For an airy and light finish, Chantilly cream or whipped cream can be an excellent choice. This adds a creamy texture and enriches the taste profile of these cinnamon roll pancakes.
Suggestions for gluten-free or vegan versions
To make cinnamon pancakes more accessible for any type of diet, you can replace certain ingredients, adapting the recipe to different dietary needs:
- Gluten Free:
• Replace traditional wheat flour with gluten-free flour, such as almond flour, coconut flour or a gluten-free flour mix available in stores. Check the labels to make sure they are suitable for people with gluten intolerance or sensitivity. Explore other gluten-free pancake recipes on the blog!
- Without Lactose:
• Replace regular milk with lactose-free milk or a variety of plant-based milks, such as almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk or rice milk. Also, use lactose-free butter or coconut oil for cooking. You can also try my vegan butter recipe.
• For a vegan version, replace eggs with flax “eggs” (1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds and 3 tablespoons of water for each egg) or with another vegan egg alternative. It also replaces milk and butter with the previously mentioned vegetable options. Don’t forget to try other vegan pancake recipes from the blog!
- No Sugar:
• Replace refined sugar with alternative sweeteners, such as agave syrup, maple syrup, honey (for non-vegans), or non-caloric sweeteners such as stevia or erythritol.
- Nutritive Additions:
• Incorporate additional proteins by adding protein powder to the dough mix or use flour with a higher protein content. Also, adding chia seeds or ground them can provide a boost of omega-3 fatty acids.
These substitutions allow you to customize this cinnamon swirl pancakes recipe according to specific dietary needs, without compromising the taste or texture of the cinnamon pancakes. Dare to experiment and discover the perfect combination for you or your family!
Recipe for cinnamon pancakes
For the cinnamon roll pancakes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the glaze:
- ¾ cup cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, add the ingredients for the filling. Mix well until homogenized and transfer to a piping bag. Put it aside.
- In a separate bowl, add flour, baking powder and salt. Mix then incorporate, with the milk, olive oil and egg.
- In another bowl, add cream cheese, powdered sugar and milk, whisk until you get a creamy glaze.
- Cooking the cinnamon pancakes:
- On a frying pan, heated to medium heat and greased with oil, cook the pancakes for 1-2 minutes each. Use about ½ cup of mixture for each pancake.
- Squeeze the filling from the piping bag over each pancake in the pan. Start from the middle and squeeze out a thin strip in the shape of a snail.
- When small bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake, turn the pancake to the other side.
- Repeat the process with all the pancake batter.
- To serve, decorate by drizzling over the cream cheese glaze.
Amount Per Serving Calories 340Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 68mgSodium 350mgCarbohydrates 40gFiber 1gSugar 27gProtein 5g
I strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but make no warranties regarding its accuracy. I encourage you to make your own calculations using your preferred nutrition calculator.