Change language / Schimba limba: Română
This is a simple, budget-friendly family recipe for spinach puree with rice. The spinach puree with rice recipe is vegan – the sunny side up fried egg is entirely optional!
I love simple, healthy recipes. If you are a frequent reader of my blog, then you probably know that I only post easy recipes, that anyone can make! What I want to do is show people that they can cook fast, easy, healthy and delicious dishes with almost no effort.
I follow many food blogs, some for photography inspiration, other for the great recipes. Sometimes I see some really weird ingredient combinations and get really annoyed. I can tell if a recipe is good or bad just by looking at the ingredients. Why combine tasteless ingredients in a tasteless recipe just because it looks good on camera? I just can’t understand that. I will always put the recipe in the first place. That’s what’s important. Decent photos are needed too, of course, but the recipe should always come first.
Now…let me tell you a bit about this recipe. This spinach puree with rice is a family-friendly recipe and it’s really easy to make it. You can use fresh spinach too, but because it’s winter here and you can’t find any fresh spinach (only baby spinach, but that’s for salads), I decided to use frozen spinach cubes. The recipe is VEGAN, but because I’m a vegetarian who eats eggs too, I prefer eating this along with a sunny side up fried egg. I love how they go so well together! So, if you’re vegan, just skip the egg.
The recipe is VEGAN, but because I’m a vegetarian who eats eggs too, I prefer eating this along with a sunny side up fried egg. I love how they go so well together! So, if you’re vegan, just skip the egg. [btw, the egg is organic and comes from a safe source with happy hens :)]
Here’s how you can make this spinach puree with rice recipe.
- 1 kg frozen spinach cubes , the spinach in these frozen cubes is already chopped, which makes it perfect for spinach purée. As I said above, you can use fresh spinach too, I used frozen because it’s winter.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup rice
- 2 Tbsps whole wheat flour – dissolved in 2-3 Tbsps warm water
- 4 garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Add olive oil in a large pan. Add chopped onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add frozen spinach cubes and cover with a lid. It doesn’t need any water because the ice will melt.
- When the spinach cubes are melted, add rice. If needed add a little bit more water – max. 1/2 cup. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Add mashed garlic cloves, salt and pepper to taste. Add flour dissolved in water. Cook for 10 more minutes. If there is excess liquid add more flour (1-2 Tbsps).
- Serve as it is or along with a sunny side up fried egg.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g
Want more vegetarian recipes with spinach? Try these: Crunchy Spinach Salad with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes and Spinach and Feta Cannelloni.